Sunday, September 26, 2010

Pancakes! Soft Wheat Buttermilk Pancakes


I made these pancakes this morning for my little cousin. I've been wanting to use up this whole wheat pastry flour (WWPF) that has been unopened for a whole year. Initially I bought it because I watched Ellie Kreiger's Healthy Appetite on Food Network and for most of her baked goods she uses this flour. Well there have been no new episodes since March/April of 2009.

I love pancakes with scrambled eggs! That right balance of sweet and salty..yum!  I've always loved pancakes since I was a little girl, I ate them morning noon and night. A family member told me that they called me pancakes and syrup until I was 8 or 9 because I always smelled like syrup. LOL

I've nixed making boxed pancake mix a while ago. I found and tweaked this awesome old fashion Old fashioined recipe the flavor is spot on. The problems with this recipe was that it used 2 1/2 sticks of butter, 3 whole eggs and it was a little drier then I like.

I've had this buttermilk pancake recipe that I've been wanting to make a wheat version.(No worries there is a sub for the WWPF if you don't have any you will need All-Purpose Flour and Whole Wheat flour.) Well, these pancakes rival pancakes that I've had anywhere. Light, Fluffy and Moist..They are perfect.
One little problem..unless you watch them carefully, they will brown REALLY fast.  I usually make my 'cakes on med-high heat, that was too hot. I lowered the head to medium-low and still you must flip as soon as the edges are firm enough. I don't mind because I like the way darker pancakes taste but I know some people do not.

These are not my pancake recipe..But I'll still pull out the Old fashioned recipe every once in awhile ;)

The recipe is as follows:

Whole Wheat Pastry Flour Buttermilk Pancakes



Ingredients
1 1/2 Whole Wheat Pastry Flour (or 3/4  cup  all-purpose flour and 3/4  cup  whole wheat flour) *sift!
3  tablespoons  sugar
1 1/2  teaspoons  baking powder
1/2  teaspoon  baking soda
1/2  teaspoon  salt
1 1/2  cups  non/low-fat buttermilk (or 3/4c low/non fat sour cream and 3/4c skim milk)
1  tablespoon  vegetable oil
1  large egg
Cooking spray * I found that with my pan the pancakes came out better when I used NO oil in the pan your milage may vary depending how nonstick your pan is.


Directions:
Dry Team:  Combine and mix sifted flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.

Wet Team:  Combine and mix buttermilk, oil and egg.

Add wet team to dry team and mix with whisk.

Heat pan to medium-low heat.
Add 1/4 cup batter to pan for each pancake. ( I just eyeballed it) Be careful if you make these too big, they get hard to flip..Below is my first pancake out of the batch.

Flip the pancakes as soon as the when tops are covered with bubbles and edges look firm.
Keep pancakes warm in oven on 200 degrees.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment