Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Chicken Soup's for Breakfast!



This morning I ditched my usual breakfast fare of Kashi GoLean cereal (the non-crunch kind) and Greek Yogurt for a warm bowl of chicken soup from this batch I made last week.  
   

This picture isn't too much to look at but I think it was one of my best batches of soup yet..I ended up using some baked chicken leftovers that I froze, the baked chicken was marinated in white wine, vinegar, EVOO and spices. Also, I added one carton of organic vegetable soup broth, I'm sure any vegetable soup broth would do but was on sale/clearance at a better price then the non-organic broth. After I thawed the chicken out I browned it on both sides, chopped it and added it to the soup.

  I didn't have any chicken stock or bullion cubes on hand, so the soup needed some more chicken-y flavor, so I tasted the leftover marinade, realized it was very chicken-y and added it to the soup base. It was almost perfect because it was a little too salty.. I added some more water and the end result was a hearty soup with really well developed flavor with little effort on my part. This was also the first time that I used butter in my soup. It turned out to add a slight buttery flavor that made the soup taste more flavorful.

Below is the recipe that I used that day but I will also include my original go to chicken noodle soup that I based my other chicken soup recipes from. 

Recipe.
Chicken Soup 10.10.2010

1 bone-in chicken breast (slow roasted in oven for at least an hour and chopped) OR chopped
boneless skinless chicken breasts cooked OR 2-3 medium boneless/skinless chicken thighs (or
boned and skin on)
Precooked Whole Wheat pasta
1 small onion chopped
1tsp of sage
1c  chopped red bell pepper
2 stalks of celery chopped
1/4 tsp of butter or 1 tsp EVOO
1 medium onion chopped
3 cloves of garlic pressed (or chopped)
1c carrots chopped **optional (I had none on hand but it is a nice addition to any soup)
1tsp of black pepper and cayenne pepper **optional I like my soup spicy
3 chicken bouillon cubes plus 6-8 cups water 
Vegetable broth (1-3 cups) *optional 
1-2 bay leaves
On med low heat add butter/oil to the stock pot. Add onions and celery and cook until onions are almost clear, then add garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes.
-Add water, chicken cubes (and/or all broths you are using) sage, bay leaves, black pepper and celery (and carrot if you are using) cook on high for 10 minutes to soften the carrots and celery.
Add chopped chicken and let simmer for 10 min.
Then taste, add salt to taste and add noodles 

-chicken prep for boneless skinless thighs season each side with salt, pepper and rosemary and
saute until done
-for skinned and bone in chicken I boil the thighs in chicken broth for 10-20 min, cool, remove
meat from skin and bone then chop to prep for soup.

That's it easy peasy the most time consuming part is the chicken prep and chopping everything. 



My finished cup of soup..yum!

My original recipe:

Kemi’s Chicken & Soybean Soba Noodle soup
a really yummy chicken soup with soybeans  and smooth soba noodles (made with
buckwheat) instead of traditional noodles 

1 bone-in chicken breast (slow roasted in oven for at least an hour and chopped) OR chopped
boneless skinless chicken breasts cooked OR 2-3 medium boneless/skinless chicken thighs (or
boned and skin on)
Precooked Soba noodles (or you can use 1-2 cups of any type of precooked pasta)
1tsp of rosemary & sweet basil
2-3 bay leaves
1c chopped carrot
1c of frozen or fresh unshelled soybeans
2 stalks of celery chopped

1tsp of EVOO
1 medium onion chopped
3 cloves of garlic pressed (or chopped)
1tsp of black pepper and cayenne pepper
6-8 cups of water
3 chicken bouillon cubes

On med low heat add oil to the stock pot. Add onions and cook until almost clear, then add garlic
and cook for 2-3 minutes.
-Add water, chicken cubes, rosemary, basil, bay leaves, black pepper, carrot and celery cook on
high for 10 minutes to soften the carrots and celery.
Add chopped chicken and soybeans and let simmer for 10 min.
Then taste, add salt to taste and add noodles (soba noodles are added last because they will tear
and break up if overcooked)
-chicken prep for boneless skinless thighs season each side with salt, pepper and rosemary and
saute until done
-for skinned and bone in chicken I boil the thighs in chicken broth for 10-20 min, cool, remove
meat from skin and bone then chop to prep for soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment