Sunday, January 15, 2012

Pita Pizza!


I've been making this pita pizza for a few years now. I love it for lunch and I've been making it about every day that I've been on break. Now, school is back in session and I'm not able to have it at lunchtime. Its great of you have access to a oven/ toaster oven.

 Its very simple all you need is (authentic middle eastern) pita bread (or a flour tortilla), a whole tomato, shredded cheese, toppings (I use onion and chicken leftovers) and seasonings (italian seasoning, salt, black pepper, garlic powder and red pepper flakes. 

Ingredients:
1 Pita (white or wheat) (non-puffy, authentic middle eastern pita) can be subbed with flour tortilla.
Vegetable Oil or Spray Oil (Like Pam)
one whole tomato (thinly sliced)
Italian seasoning
Salt
Black Pepper
Garlic Powder
Red pepper flakes
Shredded cheese
Toppings:
Onion
Chicken


Directions:
Preheat Oven to 350 degrees
Rub or spray thin coat of oil on both sides of pita bread. Place pita in skillet on medium-high heat until slightly browned (about 1 minute). Place pita on cookie sheet (or pizza pan) browned side up.* Sprinkle salt, garlic powder, black pepper and italian seasoning on pita. Then,  place one layer of thinly sliced tomatos on pita, then put pita in oven for 5-8 minutes. 

*Notice that we are only browning one side of the pita. I'm leaving the bottom oiled but not browned. I've noticed that when I brown both sides the edges burn more often. 

While the "sauce" is cooking, warm your toppings. I always pull the leftover chicken out slice it up and use the same skillet to rewarm and also to grill the onions I want to put on the pizza. Be careful not to overload the pizza its meant to be crisp and kind of light, too many toppings will weigh it down. I know from personal experience, LOL. All your toppings should be ready to eat when you place them on the pita, you just want to put the pita back into the oven to firm up the bottom crust and melt the cheese.

This is how my pita looks after I take it out of the oven with cheese before the toppings.



Take the pita out and place your toppings and cheese (I normally add the onions, light cheese, chicken then final light cheese) and put the pita back into the oven for no more then 5 minutes.

Remove from oven and enjoy!!

Here is my pizza from today's lunch. I forgot to take a pic before I dug in. 


If you don't like raw tomatoes,  despite the short cooking time of the tomatoes the seasonings develop into a great flavor. 






No comments:

Post a Comment